Friday, September 9, 2011

Rough Draft: Letter from a farmer's daughter

Dear Lucy,
If you came to Ireland I don't know if you'd even recognize it. The great Potato Famine has killed off everything. Our food is gone, and so are the people. Landlords and Protestants have been kicking the small farmers out of their land, leaving them with nothing. Father says we should be alright for a little bit because we were able to save a quarter of our land. Most of the small farmers only grew potatoes. We mainly only grew them too but the quarter of the land saved was the part where we grew cabbage. If we didn't have the cabbage field I don't think we'd be living on our farm anymore.
Almost all our neighbors are gone. Ireland seems so empty, everyones either leaving to go to America, or have died from starvation. All I can say is be happy you are already in America Lucy. Father keeps telling me everything will be alright, but I can see it in his eyes that he's worried. Maybe we'll move to America too and then I'll be able to see you again.
Sincerely,
Anna Dover

No comments:

Post a Comment